NBC News-Wall Street Journal Correspondent: March 2015-Present
- Write enterprise and analysis stories for NBC Asian America, The Wall Street Journal, KoreAm Journal and NK News, a website focused on North Korea policy, among other publications.
Digital News Desk Editor, Korea Times, Seoul, Korea: August 2014-February 2015
- Managed company’s official Twitter and Facebook accounts and oversaw six-fold increase in number of social media followers.
- Spearheaded SEO, including overhaul of website’s multilingual features, resulting in 75 percent year-on-year increase in traffic.
- Assigned and edited stories for publication on website of most established English-language Korean daily news organization. Worked with team of six journalists to refine stories and plan around-the-clock digital news coverage.
- Launched newspaper’s first-ever podcast, a digest of news and analysis.
Staff Reporter, Korea Times: July 2009-August 2014
- Lead political reporter for major events including death of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il and deadly bombardment of Yeonpyeong Island.
- Published notable investigative reports on the use of forced labor to make Korean banknotes, labor abuses on Korean fishing vessels and trafficking of Korean nationals.
- Planned and executed series of cover stories exploring changes to Korean society. Provided context and enterprise reporting on endangerment of country’s free-diving women and stigmatization of sexual minorities, multiracial families and North Korean defectors.
University of Massachusetts-Amherst June 2001
Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, English
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Honorable Mention, Excellence in Human Rights Reporting, Society of Publishers in Asia 2014 Awards for Editorial Excellence